Re: [OM] Sporty snaps was mega-flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Sporty snaps was mega-flashes
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:37:36 -0000
I wrote
> Barry BB (I think)

and Barry said
> That was me.

Hey, I got one right! Good start.

...and follows with lots of interesting advice on positioning and so on.

Thanks Barry, I will mull this over and see how applicable it is to a game
of rugby at an amateur club on a murky February afternoon. The main problem
is quite simply lack of light. It can get pretty dark here by 3pm in the
winter. Our so-called "floodlights" are also pathetic - with 1600ASA I can
just about get away with 1/250 at f/2. Presumably in professional arenas the
lights are rather more powerful.

Me (about using flash):
> I've never dared
>try it for fear fo distracting them (and since I usually shoot rugby
players
>I really do mean "fear"!),

Barry:
> Big angry sweaty guys who just injured an opponent
> aren't the guys you want to hack off.

It's the ones who were injured 10 minutes ago and have just got their wind
back that you want to be careful of!

Me again:
>I've seen other people using p-and-s's with auto
>flash get told off by the match officials.

Barry:
>Were they being toldoff because they were amateurs without the
>appropriate pass/access/demeanor/etc, or for using flash? Press and
>amateur rules can often be strangely arbitratry.

Specifically for using flash. In the strata I frequent any extra body at the
game is a welcome sight, often proud mums and girlfriends will take a few
pix on a little camera and nobody minds. Maybe on the occasions where I
remember people being told off, there had been a recent incident of some
kind or something. I will ask the players what they think about it.
Certainly flash is commonly used here in cycling photography.

And a new question - how paranoid should you be about using flash in the
rain? Obviously with a mega-power pack it's unwise, but how about a T32 on a
BG2? Are there enough volts inside that it could explode in your face if it
gets wet?

John