Re: [OM] RE: great find today! WAS Adorama purchase experience

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: great find today! WAS Adorama purchase experience
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:53:55 -0500
At 09:48 PM 2/25/00 -0600, Tom Scales wrote:
I find this whole conversation interesting, as I'm buying and selling a lot.
If I didn't get good prices, it wouldn't work.

In camera dealing you must buy low and sell higher, like anything else...

And Erik chimed in with:
>It sounded to me like the salesman was fishing for the highest price he
could get. The image of a New York City camera salesman as the naïve,
trusting sort of individual strikes me as funny.>

You may be correct about the fishing part. Then again, you may not. We'll never know. I assume from this only nice middle American camera salesmen can be naïve and trusting. Sort of like nice middle American used car salesmen?

And pj mounted a spirited defense with
>>Did you really interpret my joking offer of a
few hundred dollars for a couple thousand dollar lens serious?

No, since your next paragraph began with the word 'seriously'.

What I objected to was the following, from your original post:

>When he said it was available, I said I wanted it. Then he
asks ME what the price was! Sensing an opportunity, I said I didn't have the
price in front of me and asked what he had. Well, he quoted a higher price
than the website, and I quickly chimed in with the web price.

You said you didn't have the price in front of you, yet that was untrue. You did. That's what I objected to.

So therefore when Barry (and others in a similar vein) stated:
<Maybe it's because I trade commodities for a living, but I see nothing
wrong in offering a price. The seller can always refuse and
counteroffer, particularly when they're a camera store in the
business of selling things.

I didn't find that pj exactly followed this scenario, which of course I agree with. He didn't offer a price, he claimed to be ignorant of the price when in fact he was not.

And now, pj's defense is seriously going downhill when he says

>And even if I did rip Adorama off for a few hundred or even thousand dollars, it would never make up for the people who have been robbed by Smile, Cambridge, and all the others. >

Not only would it be OK to rip off a dishonest camera dealer, it is OK to rip off a dealer who has a pretty good rep (Adorama) to make up for the sins of those who are dishonest? That's pretty amazing...

And pj continues with

>If I am to live by Denton Taylor's ethics, I should have been honest to the guy at the local pawn shop who sold an OM-1n (ex++) w/ 50/1.8 (covered in fungus) for $35. Yes, $35! I should have said, "That 50/1.8 is a paper-weight, but the OM-1n has an average sale
price of $135 on Ebay.>

You seem to have no understanding whatsoever of my ethics. If the price was marked $35, and you paid it, wonderful. Not only wonderful, but perfectly honest. The fact that you consider this dishonest while thinking that ripping off camera dealers is honest shows you are seriously confused. My only objection to your original post was the fact that you claimed you didn't have a piece of information when you did. Which you have now made worse by stating that there are perfectly legitimate reasons for ripping off honest camera dealers.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at