Re: [OM] Re: eBay ads

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: eBay ads
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:11:33 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:54:33 -0500, Bob Sull wrote:

>One thing I don't understand here.  If ebay is such a neat place to sell
>and buy stuff, why is it necessary to tell us that there are things for
>sale on ebay?  Don't you think we can find them all buy ourselves?

1) Because there are something like 4 million items a year that trade
there. A wise buyer selling a niche product tries to find his
customers and let them know what he has to offer.

2) Although I understand the list consensus on the topic (and abide
by it), I think sometimes the list loses a sense of perspective. Ebay
sellers posting here aren't molesting children, selling state
secrets, or even disrupting the free flow of information. The posts
objecting to eBay ads usually outnumber the offending the ads by a
factor of 10 or more. What is the crime - selling Oly gear and
telling people about it? Personally, I'd rather have more information
than less.

BTW - before this spurs a defense of objections, please re-read the
sentence that includes "I understand the list consensus on the topic
(and abide by it)."

3) FWIW, I have bought a number of items from tnic, and his equipment
is spotless, and his shipping has been prompt. Whether on the list or
through eBay, I wouldn't hesitate to trade with him again. My new 16,
300, and 4T are testaments to his credibility.

BBB

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx