Re: [OM] T32 power supply

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 power supply
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:10:21 -0800
From: Robin M Allen <rallen@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm planning to make a mains power supply for a T32 flash... I just wondered
why there are 3 pins on the power in connector.

One is for ~+180 VDC, one for +6 VDC, and the last one is a common return.

Is there a diode to stop
the batteries in the T32 from receiving a current 'backwards' through them

There seems to be something protecting the batteries, as I have powered the T32 through both external sources without mishap.

Has anyone done all this stuff before and I missed it?

I posted here similarly, and got a big yawn. I eventually built a heavy-duty power supply that can run as many T32s at once that you can drive from the TTL connector. (I think the supported fan-out is seven.)

I bought a 150 watt DC-AC inverter. It takes 12 VDC in, and supplies 117 VAC, 60Hz. It does this by generating the necessary high voltage in DC form, then stepping it to generate a pseudo-sine wave.

The DC HV supply was only about 150V, so I pulled the HV transformer and removed some windings on the primary to get the output up to 180V.

You'd have an easier time of it in Finland, where your inverters would generate ~ 300 VDC internally. Then you'd just have to either add a simple series-pass regulator, or remove some windings from the HV transformer secondary. (I didn't feel too good about removing primary windings, but the extra current didn't seem to hurt the switching transistors.)

I dont suppose the
connector is some standard item that I can buy separately?

I haven't seen one. I used Molex pins -- like those that feed power to a disk drive -- then potted them in silicone caulk. It's ugly, but it works.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>