[OM] Sekonic L508 Zoom Master

Subject: [OM] Sekonic L508 Zoom Master
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:18:37 -0800
Clyde & Denton and others,

An associate has a brand new one he offered to sell me.  I know his company
buys quite a few
of the Sekonic meters for use in underwater housings.  So he might get them at
a good
discount from the distributor.  He just reccomended this meter as an
alternative to a new
Minolta Auto V F.  I use the Auto IV F so much in the studio (maybe 100 or more
readings
during a photo shoot). Some are telling me that I may get more features and
industrial
quality on the Sekonic.  I believe the Sekonic has a 3 year warranty as to the
Minolta 1
year. I had the Auto Meter IV F since 1994 and have gone thru about 2-3
batteries per year.
I was told that the Auto V F is even harder on batteries.  I also have an Auto
Meter III F
which I bought used in 1991 and it has only gone to the shop once, but I use it
very rarely
since I got the Auto IV F (which I also got slightly used).  So this will be my
first brand
new meter purchase.

In my research of prices and deals I did learn that Sekonic does or did offer
the L408 at a
great discount to photography students (about $125 less than street price).
Meters are  so
expensive that I do ask around about deals. I'll keep the list posted on any
good deals that
I can find.

I'm also trying to learn how to use meters in video and cinematography. So I'm
thinking of
one that can give me a really broad use. As of yet I have not heard any bad
stories on this
new Sekonic.  My goal is to become good at multiple and mixed even lighting
situations.

Phillip Franklin