Re: [OM] Re: macro posts please

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: macro posts please
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 18:05:55 -0600
At 05:53 PM 2/19/00 +0000, you wrote:

>If the LCD in a 4Ti dies does that render the rest of the camera
>inoperable or do you foresee other circuit related degradations which will
>kill them?

If the LCD alone fails, it probably will keep working "blind". Most
electronic devices I've had on which the LCD went bad kept working. You just
could tell what they were doing a lot of the time. Looking at the circuit
for the OM4 in Vision Age, it looks like the LCD is a separate item that
clamps onto a subflexcircuit that itself clamps to the main circuit. Maybe
John H. can tell us if these parts are available separately. If they are,
Olympus may have a larger stockpile. Maybe he can tell us if he's gotten bad
LCDs yet.

>I mean if an OM3 can function without it's viewfinder display I see no
>reason why a 4TI can't still function without its, either in manual
>mode or on auto.

I think the 3s have a mechanical linkage that sets the shutter speed. The 4s
transmit that info, and time the shutter, electronically. They might work
with a bad LCD, but not a bad CPU board.