Re: [OM] Terrible Dilemma

Subject: Re: [OM] Terrible Dilemma
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 01:42:47 +0000
At 01:06 2/18/00 , Joel Wilcox wrote:

>I'd match the music. If you're playing classical, the nice camera.  Beater
>camera for the blues.

Much what I do, but couldn't have said it better.  I also take the older
chrome finish, maybe with one other lens, into locales where new,
expensive, black body stuff might attract a thief.  Don't go those places
that often.  It is common practice among street-shooters to use "beaters"
for that very reason.

In the same vein, I bought a new Tamrac late last year.  The 20 year old
one was running out of room.  A friend suggested I flatten out the new one
on the driveway (without anything in it) and drive the auto back and forth
across it a few times.  Told me _new_ camera bags that are obviously camera
bags can attract theft.  Supposedly an old beater reduces the risk.  His
way of making a new bag look like a beater.  (To me it's a way to _make_ a
beater quickly.)

Some camera brassing can actually lend character to the body.  Great for
spinning all manner of stories about photographic exploits:  the ding from
hitting the Elbonian border guard over the head to get photos of abused
orphans out to the world; how it wore through the finish on a corner
rubbing against the side of a camel bouncing across Sahara doing a
documentary on a long lost WWII aircraft and its crew.  A little
imagination could create a great story about every ding, scratch and scuff.

-- John