Re: [OM] Brassing

Subject: Re: [OM] Brassing
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:34:14 +0000
At 03:04 2/18/00 , DaEyeGuy wrote:
>unforunately, the letters often wear off identifying it..can't really tell
>from this what you're wearing...it makes for a nice, lightweiht frame with
>great tensile strength!
>SS

We use Titanium for special tooling around electronics soldering.  It's
relatively hard, unaffected by the high temperatures, and one of the main
reasons is nothing we use adheres to it very well.  It's like having a
metal form of Teflon.  Our tool and die makers don't like working with it
so we don't use it unless we have to.  It's not as easy to tool as other
materials.  A powder or ion deposition process could probably "fuse"
something to it, but standard finish coating processes for many other
common metals do not work very well with Titanium.

When I read the finish wore off easily on the 3ti and 4T I wasn't surprised.

-- John