RE: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO

Subject: RE: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:39:07 -0500
I tend to agree with Frank on this.
I have had the 38 macro (original), bellows, Incident Mirror Housing and the
Leiberkuhn reflectors since I bought my OM-1.
The Mirror Housing and the Leiberkuhn reflectors are made specifically for
those (38&20) lenses.  You can get VERY CLOSE with them with no interference
from the light source.
It also helps a great deal to have the Transilluminator Base and a good
flatfield (actually, the bulb is flatfield) adjustable output light source.
(The Olympus ones work very well).  By setting the light source properly to
obtain Kohler illumination (that's the flatfield part, all the light is
focused on the subject and there is limited resulting flare.

I have seen PM-EL, 20 and 38 lenses once on eBay, nowhere else.

They were expensive in '76!
Working with macro is one of my favorites.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

Frank stated:
I have read the other answers. Maybe you should also consider using
the Incident Illuminator Mirror Housings PM-EL 38 or PM-EL 20.
See
http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif/macrophotogroup/mirror_housings.htm
for a description.

The mirror housings will do a good job indoors, in 'laboratory
conditions', where you can use a proper light source (flash is
possible). They are not practical for use in the field.