Re: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO

Subject: Re: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO
From: "Daan Kalmeijer" <daank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:24:13 +0100
>Jim,
>
>Best flash for 20mm macro ... Well when you consider the close proximity of
the lens to the
>subject (when using the 20mm macro), I would think  the Ring Flash T8 or
T10 would be best.
>The T28 macro would also work well.  The problem with the T32 is that it is
very hard to get
>in close because of it's rather large size.  The T20 would be a better
choice.  Of couse
>these must be off camera.
>
>Phillip Franklin

Phillip,

I don't own a 20 mm macro, so I'm just speculating here. With my 38 mm
macro, at max magnification on a 65-116 tube, I find that a T28 gets
positioned right above my subject. This way, the subject doesn't get enough
frontal lighting for my taste. I suppose a T28 on a 20 mm macro would be
even worse, producing light from behind and above the subject rather than in
front and above. I think I read something about this in one of my manuals
about the T28, that it is supposed to be used on a 135, 80, 50 or 38 mm
macro, not on the 20 mm (I suppose the 90 mm F2 didn't exist at that time).
The same goes for the T8 (small reflector), it focuses most of it output
behind your subject if you are using a 20 mm. For the 38 mm I find the T8
just about OK. I think the official Olympus statement is that you should use
a T10 on a 20 mm. Since this doesn't give a nice "natural" look, maybe your
suggestion of a T20 would be best.

I would prefer to use a diffusor on a T20 for this, but that would have to
be something homemade. A diffusor on a T32 or T28 makes macro shots look
very much better in my opinion. I find that you can get a T32 closer near
the front of a lens (f.i. that 38 mm) than the T28. The flash-heads of these
(T28 and T32) are the same size, so there is not much difference there. The
T28 flash-head(s) get positioned just a bit more off-axis because they are
mounted on this flash-head-mounting-ring or whatever it's called.

My reccomendation would be: T20 (OK), T32 (A bit clumsy), T28-T8 (no frontal
lighting), T10 (ugly result)
But then I'd first have to get my hands on a 20 mm and try ir for myself
:-)

Daan