Re: [OM] 35sp auto exposure mode

Subject: Re: [OM] 35sp auto exposure mode
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 23:35:38 EST
In a message dated 2/15/00 3:35:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Does anyone know the behavior of the Olympus 35sp in the auto mode? I
 know that if there is not enough light, the shutter button will not
 release. However, if there is enough light, is the aperture fixed and
 only the speed varies. The 35sp is in auto mode when both the aperture
 and the speed ring are set to A. This makes me wonder if the aperture
 is also varied, but that sounds more sophisticated for that generation
 of technolgy. So if it is a fixed aperture, what is the value.

I owned a 35SP for many years repaired it a few times. It is a trapped needle
exposure automation system. That is, the display meter needle is trapped by a
stepped
bar that descends as the release is depressed. The distance that the bar
descends to
is thus proportional to the meter deflection. This position (depth) is
translated into a speed **and **
aperture combination. The mapping of speeds and shutter aperture is given in
the
 owners manual. If I remember correctly, at the ends of the range only one of
the variables is in play.
Thus both aperture and speed vary over most of the range but at for example
maximum aperture
the speeds just keep on getting longer etc. The electronics is quite similar
to an OM1 although simplified
and with a spot feature. Needs a diode conversion for 357 battery use.

Regards,
Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx