[OM] Pawn Shop Olys

Subject: [OM] Pawn Shop Olys
From: John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:14:27 -0500
Help, John Hermanson!
I went on my first pawn shop forray today and found three Olys.  The
most interesting one is a -2n in what I would call Ex condition but for
one problem--more later.  The body is clean, with ordinary paint loss at
corners, etc.  The battery check light on the front is missing; the self
timer lever is still there.  I ran through the shutter speeds and didn't
*hear* anything suspicious.  But when I tried the self timer, the mirror
locked up, and nothing we could do would get it back down again.  I
suspect that the missing battery check light is not the only thing wrong
there.  It has a very clean 50/1.8 on it.  The guy has it priced at
$189, but when the mirror froze, he said I could have it and the lens
for $100.  I'm wondering what the odds might be on having it repaired
and still having some room for profit on eBay.  I know you can only
estimate its problems, but what do you think?
He also had a -1md, no lens for $100, in better shape than the 2n, maybe
Ex+ condition, except that it's missing the crank handle on the rewind
knob.
Finally, there was an OM-10 with 50/1.8 for $90.  It may be a little
rougher cosmetically than the -2n.
I'm excited to have found something on my first attempt, but I don't
know if any of is worth buying.  A quick look at the history of -2n
sales on eBay suggests that it might not be, unless the fix is fairly
easy.
Regards,
John Pendley