RE: [OM] polaroid instant 35mm slide film???

Subject: RE: [OM] polaroid instant 35mm slide film???
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:34:46 -0000
Cc: "'wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Dirk,

you asked:

>> Anyone use Polaroid's instant 35mm slide film, B&W or
>> Color??? How good is it? grain? archival?

I haven't used it but I recall that the colour film (in
it's original form, at least) didn't give "continuous" colour,
but rather had an arrangement of red, green and blue stripes,
a bit like an aperture-grill CRT (e.g. Sony Trinitron).

The film thus worked more like the old Autochrome process plates
than modern three-layer colour emulsions.

The frequency of the stripes was coarse enough to interfere
with detail resolution and to be visible on projection. I dread
to think what the results from scanning would be like as there
is a strong possibility of beating effects between the stripe
frequency and the dpi of the scanner. Grain size would be the
least of it's problems.

The film was never really intended as a substitute for conventional
emulsions, but rather for proofing and for special applications
where quality wasn't an issue.

The B&W film was a different story, being continuous-tone and of
fairly high resolution. I've no information about the archival
properties of either film, but I suspect they wouldn't be the best.

Note that all of the above relates to the films that Polaroid
introduced in the 1980s. What they are selling nowadays may well
be different.

Hope this helps anyway.

-Brian