Re: Sv: [OM] OM=Japanese Leica???

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] OM=Japanese Leica???
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:38:16 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Motor Sport Visions Photography wrote:

|CCDs, even the best of them, _do not_ have several times the resolution
|of fine grain film...in fact far from it. When they do, there will be no
|more use for film (except for esoteric and nostalgic reasons) and we
|ain't there yet...
|
|The devices are indeed little light capturing "buckets" and depending on
|imager design, you have either three little buckets next to one another
|(for RGB) or you have three seperate imagers (again RGB). While for film
|the ideal is to get all colors to land on the same spot of the film
|plane (hello Apochromatic lenses), this may not be the case for digital
|imaging. I have a feeling Olympus digital design people may actually be
|on to something here. Ideally you want the red bucket to get mostly red,
|green mostly green, and well...you get the drift.
|
|Yes, there are pro bodies from Kodak, N*k*n and C*n*n that accept std.
|SLR lenses. Was this for best performance or was this to get a leg-up in
|the professional marketplace at a compramise of performance? I would
|suggest the later.
|
|I wonder if Olympus is making the right marketing strategy on this (as
|in I too am not convinced they couldn't do this and make it work). It is
|important to note that in the high end consumer/semi-pro digital camera
|market that Olympus is generally regarded as the best. (Take a look at
|images from a C2000 or C2500 and compare them with a Coolpix 950 for
|example...)
|
|Doesn't sound like Marketing double-talk to me...sounds more like
|Engineering winning the battle of when to come to market against
|Marketing. That's my take on it anyway...

At the current time, the C2500 is the resolution king of the semi-pro
digital camera market.  If the above is true, Olympus would have to
design a new digital lens line after all, a financially daunting
proposition.  They would have to survey the digital market as
technology improves and the pro market begins to bend toward digital
cameras.  Then they would have to start generating their digital lens
line at a fast & furious rate in an effort to take the market away
from Nikon, Canon & Company.