[OM] Zuiko for digital? was: OM=Japanese Leica???

Subject: [OM] Zuiko for digital? was: OM=Japanese Leica???
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 11:53:48 +0100
On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 21:20:27 -0700, Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>The stated reason about NO OM Digital Camera is:  they feel the quality to be
>obtained from using interchangeable lenses NOT designed for digital is greatly
>inferior.  It has to do with how a CCD accepts light input, light rays must ALL
>be parallel since the sensor is like little buckets ( U ).  Nikon and Canon get
>around this by using an adapter plate to make the rays acceptable but sharpness
>suffers at the edges, especially with larger chips.
>Also, interchangeable lenses have some play in the mount, and while some of
>this in acceptable and within tolerance for film, it is not for CCD's.
>
>On a positive note:  they will try to get a member of the staff on the list to
>monitor our concerns and provide some input.
>
>Best to all, Mike

Mike, the things you heard are in line with what I was told a few
weeks back at Olympus Europe in Hamburg. I hope I can reproduce the
essence of their story.
They said that, in order to reach acceptable image quality, all OM
Zuikos should have at least their rear elements or rear lens groups
replaced by elements or groups specially designed for CCD photography.
Alternatively a special adapter would have to be built, to be put
between the lenses and the camera.
Apart from that the focal lengths are far from optimal, because the
consumer camera CCD's are much smaller than the 24x36mm film frame.
Consequently the lens is much nearer to the 'film' plane in a digicam.
And this means that all focal lengths of the normal Zuikos have to be
multiplied by a factor (about 4 for present SLR digicams).
Summarizing: OM Zuikos are simply not good enough for present small
CCD digital photography
(all above according to the Olympus Digital representative I spoke to)

They didn't tell me that digital photography was like filling buckets,
though - are you sure they didn't say filling pockets?  ;-)

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.