Re: [OM] camera vibration?

Subject: Re: [OM] camera vibration?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 17:01:01 -0800
Hi Dirk:

<< I did not intend to imply that your tests were not "real world", just
that I wouldn't go to the same lengths as you did to prevent camera
vibration. I also assumed that the average user would not also.

But, I have heard or seen the use of a sand filled bag placed on the
camera and lens as a way to prevent vibration. Have you tried that? >>

I haven't gone to such lengths strictly because I didn't want to get
away from a real world test.  (My few tests with the Bogen telephoto
lens support are sophisticated enough).  There have been lots of times
in doing tripod shots that I forget to carry a cable release, or I was
just too lazy to fish it out.  So I used the self timer instead. That's
all my test setup is.  It just so happens that Olympus gave us a bonus
for using the self-timer (i.e., mirror and aperture prefire).  And it
turns out to be one heck of a bonus feature, worth using anytime it is
feasible.

One exception to the above.  For lens tests at 400mm or more, I'll use a
second tripod if I detect any instability.  That more effort than most
folks would put in, but it is absolutely necessary.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV