Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??

Subject: Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:01:51 EST
In a message dated 02/04/2000 11:52:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I used it to do a self-portrait a few years ago, in front of a monitor. I
>  sat still, set the camera for rear curtain sync and 1/15 second, and shot.
>  The slow shutter speed allowed the image on the monitor to show up clearly,
>  while the N8008 made the flash put out just enough light to properly expose
>  the rest of the picture. You can see the results at
>  http://jmaynard.home.texas.net/jrmpic.html .
>
>  I don't know how I'd do the same thing with an OM...In particular,
>  front-curtain sync would have led to overexposing the picture de to the
>  relatively high level of ambient light. This isn't the usual fill flash
>  scenario, since the ambient light would be overpowered by the normal flash
>  output. Doris?

For the situation you described, I dont see how rear curtain synch would give
different results from standard first curtain sync. Rear curtain synch is
useful when using a slow shutter speed and flash while photographing a moving
subject. With first curtain synch the flash will give a "frozen" (sharp)
image ahead of the blur caused by the long shutter speed. rear curtain synch
gives a more natural effect, with the blur "moving into" the "frozen" image.

Based on the description you gave with the image, it sounds like maybe the
8008S only allows slow shutter speeds with flash when using rear curtain
synch and not with first curtain synch? Your shot could be duplicated with an
OM on manual, 1/15 shutter speed, and any "computer" flash. I'll admit the
8008S did a nice job, though.

Paul Schings