Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??

Subject: Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:11:57 -0600
On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 09:22:32AM -0500, Dirk Wright wrote:
> Assuming that the above is correct, I can't think of the difference it
> would have on picture taking. For really slow shutter speeds, the stuff
> illuminated by ambient light would be blurred from movement, and the
> flash illuminated stuff would be sharp. For normal sync, it seems that
> the ambient stuff is recorded after the flash fires. For rear curtain
> sync, the ambient stuff would be recorded before the flash fires. I'm
> not sure what difference this would make. Anyone?

I used it to do a self-portrait a few years ago, in front of a monitor. I
sat still, set the camera for rear curtain sync and 1/15 second, and shot.
The slow shutter speed allowed the image on the monitor to show up clearly,
while the N8008 made the flash put out just enough light to properly expose
the rest of the picture. You can see the results at
http://jmaynard.home.texas.net/jrmpic.html .

I don't know how I'd do the same thing with an OM...In particular,
front-curtain sync would have led to overexposing the picture de to the
relatively high level of ambient light. This isn't the usual fill flash
scenario, since the ambient light would be overpowered by the normal flash
output. Doris?