Re: [OM] OT -- Kodachrome K25?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT -- Kodachrome K25?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:39:42 -0600
At 02:27 PM 1/31/2000 -0500, you wrote in part:
>I also agree with Jan about the candy-color palette of E6.  If you're
>used to Kodachrome, then all E6 looks "funny".
>
>Morgan Sparks

Well, I don't agree. But these are matters of taste. :-) The E6 films offer
us an array of choices.

Sweet, early morning light is exceptional on Kodachrome.  It's just
beautiful. During the main part of the day, Kodachrome is a less
interesting film to me.

The really saturated E6 films seem never to be satisfactory in early
morning light and only sometimes in the evening.  But they are superior IMO
throughout the day when Kodachrome is boring.

I would deal with the trouble involved in procuring and processing KM and
KR if the emulsions were a little more predictable from one lot to the
next.  The consumer versions are all over the color gamut map in comparison
with the E6 films.  The pro versions are comparatively expensive.

For the sweet light, I have taken to using only Astia and the Elite
normal-type films.  Occasionally Provia works well too.

But this thread has gotten me a little nostalgic for KM25 especially. I do
agree with you about the edge sharpness of Kodachrome (sorry, I snipped
that part).  It must be all those layers provide an unsharp mask effect.
And quite right about how good skin tones look with flash.  But then I see
the $12.78 price tag with prepaid mailer at B&H and lose interest.

In any case, one doesn't have to dislike E6 films to like Kodachrome, and
vice versa.
Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA