[OM] Latin and Colour.

Subject: [OM] Latin and Colour.
From: "Ángel Lobo" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:53:03 +0100
Hans v V. writes:

> The funny thing is that the Americans, without realizing it,
re-established the
> way the word, which originates from Latin, was written. I think the way
the
> English write it reflects the way the French pronounce it.
>
> Latin: color
> French: couleur
> English: colour
> American: color
> Dutch: kleur (this is pronounced exactly as in French, but skips the
first vowel)
> German: Farbe   :-0
>
> H@nz

Hans:

I guess the things are not so simple on the evolution of the word from
Latin to the different latin-languages (Romances).

1.-We must add the spanish "color". the port. "core" and italian "colore".

2.-The french "couleur" pronounced,  don´t correspod to the english
"colour" writed.

3.-I guess the "Americans" don´t take this word from latin, but the
spanish.

4.- Are you calling "Americans" to the people of only one country of the
total America ? What do you think about call europeans only the french
people, or africans the people of only Ivory Coast.

I think you try to say something like the word "Disco".

Spanish. "Disco"
English : "Record"
But when the people of the USA dance, dance at the "Disco".

The spanish "disco"  is a word for describe the shape and the english
"record" is the word for describe a function -recorded-. When USA (or UK)
import the word "Disco" add to it another idea. I think this way of do
happens in almost all the modern languages.

And we can´t forget the word Chrome (metal), on spanish Cromo = Colorido,
("Full of colour).

Best colour for everybody on any language !

Ángel Lobo.
Cuenca (Spain).