Re: [OM] Bergen-Op-Zoom (Holland) photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Bergen-Op-Zoom (Holland) photography
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:01:22 +0100

Ranjan Ghosal wrote:
-----
>Hi,
>   I will be in Bergen-Op-Zoom (North Brabant District, Holland) for a
>couple of days in the first week of March.  I was wondering if anyone on the
>list has ideas about what to do in the area, especially photography-type
>things  :-)
>  I will have 2 evenings + 1 day available to look around.  Planning to take
>the train from Amsterdam to get to BoZ, and will probably have a car while
>in BoZ. I'm interested primarily in outdoor/landscape phtography.  Are there
>any scenic drives that one could do in the area? If you have any ideas about
>what to photograph in Amsterdam, that would be helpful, too.  Windmills,
>tulips, canals etc. would be nice.  I spent a lot of time looking for info
>on the internet, but most of the sites are dedicated to Amsterdam.
>  I know there are at least a couple of list-members who live in Holland;
>please comment if possible.  You can e-mail me directly or post to the list.
>  Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Ranjan
-----
Hello Ranjan,

Seems to me Olaf gave you most answers allready.

You did not say why you wanted to go to BoZ. Most af what you mention can be
photographed nearer to Amsterdam also. While the Netherlands are quite small
indeed there are many points of interest. I know american touroperators visit
the Netherlands for 3 days and say you have seen it all, but i know that's not
true.

If you want to see a whole lineup of really old and well preserved windmills
(19, built in 1740) drive north from Bergen op Zoom to Kinderdijk. (Shorter of
you get out of the train at Rotterdam or Dordrecht) Also the Biesbos is a
beatifull wetland near Bergen op Zoom. I have never really visited the center of
BoZ myself but know it is quite old as Olaf allready pointed out with more older
buildings than Amsterdam. That will be because Amsterdam was bombed quite
heavily in WWII. (as were Rotterdam, Vlissingen and Middelburg and quite a few
other cities in the Netherlands) I believe Bergen op Zoom was not bombed
heavily. Amsterdam was rebuilt after the war, but not everything was restored.
In Middelburg they managed to restore most of the old center. A huge job that
lasted untill well in the sixties to finish.

If you plan to visit Middelburg (about 50 km form BoZ), please let me know and
I'll try and find some time to show you around. If you wonder what to expect in
old buildings see one of my entries in the Unofficial Olympus Gallery (Town
Hall).

If you are interested you couls also consider visiting the Eastern Scheld Surge
barrier which was built to protect Zeeland against floods while maintaining low
and high tide in the Eastern Scheld.

If you are in the Netherlands on sunday March 5th (almost but not completely
sure about the date), you might also consider going to the photografica beurs in
Houten. This is a LARGE 2nd hand camera show, a few KM east of Utrecht.

If you want I will try and find some photo's on the net of your points of
interest. Please let me know.

Hope this adds to your knowledge.

Wiliam Wagenaar
Middelburg, the Netherlands.