RE: [OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro

Subject: RE: [OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro
From: Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 13:29:22 +1000
Tom

I think the Nikon CU lens that Doris speaks of is one of the T series.
 These come in 2 filter sizes and 2 strengths.  The 3T and 4T are both 52mm
and roughly +1.5 & +3 respectively, and the 5T & 6T are both 62mm and +1.5
& +3 respectively.

These are very high quality 2 element CU lenses designed specifically for
use with lenses in the 80 to 200mm range.  Basically they allow any lens,
macro or non-macro to focus closer.  They should not be confused with the
cheaper single element CU lenses usually sold in a set of +1, +2 & +3,
which are optically inferior and mostly designed for use with lenses around
50mm.

I use the 4T with a 49mm to 52 step up ring, with my 85f2, and Tamron
90f2.5 (49mm version).  I have recently discovered that it does not
vignette with the 90f2, using a 55mm to 52mm step down ring, but have not
had a chance to do any comparison testing.

These are great lightweight alternatives to extension tubes whilst still
maintaining high quality.

Cheers
Ross Waite