[OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 00:03:40 +0000
Date:          Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:18:07 -0800 (PST)
From:          Loren Russell <loren@xxxxxxxx>
To:            olympus-digest <owner-olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:       wildflower macro

Hi,

>From the content on this list lately, looks like too many of you are stuck
inside.  Thought this might be a useful on-topic thread.

I'm a non-recovering botanizer.  I like to travel fast and light in the
mountains, and most of my photography is done on day-hikes away from the
road. I'm no climber, but I'm often on hand-assisted scrambles, and all my
gear has to fit in a fanny-pack or smallish daypack. I take slides, and
mostly medium and close-up of wildflowers with
establishing habitat shots. I'm often in the alpine or subalpine, and a
lot of photos are lplant portraits or single flowers, often at ground
level. Occasionally, I go for the cliche of wide-angle, stopped down
scenics with a clump of flowers in the foreground. All this with an eye to
long boring lectures at wildflower and gardening groups.

Currently I carry an OM2 [just upgraded to OM4 -- which I still have to
learn how to use], a Zuiko 50 macro, a Tokina ATX 28-85, and a cheap
lightweight tripod.

A few questions:

What would I gain [or lose] by using a 90 or 100 macro instead of the 50.
[I'd carry one or the other..]

what tripod would you carry, if light weight, low angle,
and quick-release were all important. How about if you factor price in.

What are the top three [or 5?] accessories you'd throw in your pockets or
daypack.

What do you want to brag about that has petals.

loren russell, corvallis, oregon