RE: [OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro

Subject: RE: [OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 23:44:01 -0500
>A few questions:
>What would I gain [or lose] by using a 90 or 100 macro instead of the 50.
>[I'd carry one or the other..]
Giles,
You'd gain some working distance, which might help with lighting.  You
certainly won't make the plants less nervous, but if you are also trying for
the occasional "critter" that might have a good result too.  Trade-off is
increased weight, but a NEW LENS!!!

My first OM lens was the 50 3.5 macro, got it in '75.  Loved it until I met
the Vivitar 90 2.5 macro.  My brother now has my 50 & I'm in the process of
acquiring a 135 macro to go with my 65-116 Auto tube.

>what tripod would you carry, if light weight, low angle,
>and quick-release were all important. How about if you factor price in.

Tripod-wise, I often carry two, a Leitz table-top with the long head and a
Velbon 550 Grounder.  The Grounder lets me get down to 4" off ground, or use
it as a conventional tripod.  Center column comes apart to allow closer than
normal setting to ground.  What I really like about it is the weight, less
than 4 lbs.  The small diameter of the collapsed tripod is also a nice
feature.   I took off the standard head and put on a solid ball head.   The
Velbon is a sleeper, price-wise.  I got mine used for $35.  I've not seen
anything close to its performance for the money.

When I'm going to get serious with longer lenses, I use either my Manfrotto
3401 with a ball head or a Benbo model 1.  Both tripods allow independent
adjustment of legs for varying terrain and adjustment for close to ground
work.
>What are the top three [or 5?] accessories you'd throw in your pockets or
>daypack.
Sam Adams beer and a roast beef sandwich.  Extra film and a cable release.
Small flash with diffuser.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx