Re: [OM] macros

Subject: Re: [OM] macros
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:20:31 EST
Speaking of Series 1 macros, has anyone tried using that 1:1 extender (with
glass elements) that was sold with the 90F2.5 Series 1. I once read an
English mags review which reported good results using a 50F1.8 lens on it.

Also how do modern macros (including the 90) fare against the old-style
100F4.0 macros that everyone used to have (except Olympus)--not at infinity
but at 1:10 to 1:1?

Alex

Alex

joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< ========================
 Maybe Photodo waited so long to test Zuikos because they knew it would
 open a Pandora's Box concerning their grading assumptions?
 ========================

 As the person who encouraged the photodo folks to test Zuikos,
 and worked with them to come up with a suitable subset of
 the lens lineup to test, I know from email exchange with
 the photodo folks that they have wanted tests of Zuikos
 for a long time but were not able to find a supplier willing
 to loan them the lenses.  The lenses being tested are being
 loaned to photodo by Olympus Hamburg at the present time,
 presumably with them sending in small batches, such as the
 3 they just tested.  I think we will gradually see
 other lenses tested, such as the 35/2, 21/2, 24/2, 50/2 mac.
 50/1.8,  50/1.4, 135/2.8, 200/4. 300/4.5, and 600/6.5.

 You can't take photodo ratings as gospel, and a difference of
 0.1 in rating probably has no statistical significance.

 If you want to compare the 90/2 with competitors, do the
 search on 80-100 restricted to macro lenses.  A few, like
 the Leitz and Tokina  come out ahead.  many folks believe
 that the tokina 90/2.5 macro is the old vivitar 90/2.5 series 1
 in different clothes, and the latter was one of the best
 macro lenses ever made by anyone.  But the 90/2 is a
 professional-grade lens without any compromise and the
 f/2 aperture is unavailable on any other macro lens.

 note that the Leitz 100/2.8, Canon 100/2.8, and Tamron 90/2.8
 are designed with a front lens and teleconvertor in back, and
 a helicoid in between.  Extension is added in between the
 front lens and teleconvertor to focus more closely.  this is how
 these lenses get to 1:1 without prohibitive extension.  this also
 saves some light loss to bellows factor.  on the other hand,
 these lenses get shorter in focal length as they focus more closely,
 cutting into working distance.

 Joseph
 and a