[OM] macros

Subject: [OM] macros
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:46:56 -0800 (PST)
========================
Maybe Photodo waited so long to test Zuikos because they knew it would
open a Pandora's Box concerning their grading assumptions?
========================

As the person who encouraged the photodo folks to test Zuikos,
and worked with them to come up with a suitable subset of
the lens lineup to test, I know from email exchange with
the photodo folks that they have wanted tests of Zuikos
for a long time but were not able to find a supplier willing
to loan them the lenses.  The lenses being tested are being
loaned to photodo by Olympus Hamburg at the present time,
presumably with them sending in small batches, such as the
3 they just tested.  I think we will gradually see
other lenses tested, such as the 35/2, 21/2, 24/2, 50/2 mac.
50/1.8,  50/1.4, 135/2.8, 200/4. 300/4.5, and 600/6.5.

You can't take photodo ratings as gospel, and a difference of
0.1 in rating probably has no statistical significance.

If you want to compare the 90/2 with competitors, do the
search on 80-100 restricted to macro lenses.  A few, like
the Leitz and Tokina  come out ahead.  many folks believe
that the tokina 90/2.5 macro is the old vivitar 90/2.5 series 1
in different clothes, and the latter was one of the best
macro lenses ever made by anyone.  But the 90/2 is a
professional-grade lens without any compromise and the
f/2 aperture is unavailable on any other macro lens.

note that the Leitz 100/2.8, Canon 100/2.8, and Tamron 90/2.8
are designed with a front lens and teleconvertor in back, and
a helicoid in between.  Extension is added in between the
front lens and teleconvertor to focus more closely.  this is how
these lenses get to 1:1 without prohibitive extension.  this also
saves some light loss to bellows factor.  on the other hand,
these lenses get shorter in focal length as they focus more closely,
cutting into working distance.

Joseph
and a