Re: [OM] lens comparasons

Subject: Re: [OM] lens comparasons
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:36:28 +0800
By just looking at the MTF I think I need to sell my 90/2 and 100/2 for a much
cheaper Tokina 90/2.5. For me the result does not look convincible. I have no
experience on most lenses but the Nikon 105/2.5 that I had was sure not
comparable to
my 100/2 in terms of resolution (and color too). I don't believe the Nikon I
got was
a bad one as it was in mint condition. Also, the Minolta 100/2 didn't get very
good
comment from the Minolta user whom I know.

The most strange thing is the distortion. How can the 90/2 and 100/2 get up to
1.x%
and the 35-80 Zuiko got 3.x% !! I remember the result from pop photo report the
distortion of the Zuiko 35-80 at max is around 1.x%. May be they have different
calculating method, but how come the Tamron 90/2.5 without figure? no
distortion? If
my memory serve in modern photography's test the Tamron has higher distortion
than
the Zuiko.

Also, if you go deeper to the MTF curve, the Tamron go down to below ten at
40lp/mm
at f2.5 which is much poorer than the Zuikos. The weighting calculation is
totally
not for me, I mostly shoot at F2 to F4 with my 90 and 100.

I myself found the SQF in pop photo is the best lens test I have ever seen.
Which
seems more accurate and take care of more area on lens quality. Also, another
lens
quality - color and tonal rendering, is the most subjective one that not easy
get
agree among different people, to me the Zuikos always perform very well.

I learn a new OM user here, who was a professional photographer and was a Nikon
and
Canon user for around 20 years. Now he only shoot for himself, he found the
quality
of Zuiko is better than the one he had used before. He sold all his Canon L and
get a
4Ti, 3Ti, 18/3.5, 21/2, 50/1.2, 90/2, 100/2, 180/2.8, 300/4.5 and 1.4XA. He is
very
pleased with the Zuikos and me too.

C.H.Ling