Re: [OM] Black vs Chrome/Titanium WAS: OM-2S question

Subject: Re: [OM] Black vs Chrome/Titanium WAS: OM-2S question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:40:14 +0000
At 15:46 1/27/00 , Glen wrote:
>Coloured cameras: I've seen someone selling repaited old leica's on
>ebay.  This person is taking IIIF and IIIc's and refurbishing them in
>designer colours--blue, black, red (if memory serves)--complete with new
>coloured leathers and glossy paint jobs.  I think he said he's using
>model paint.

IIIF's in designer colo(u)r???  Aurghhh!  I hope he's doing this with the
severely "cosmetically challenged" ones.  Check out the market price on a 9
to 10- IIIF (cosmetic and working), especially a red dial, even more so a
red dial with self timer, with original finish.  The glass case collectors
are probably having heart palpitations . . . or they are wringing their
hands with glee at the thought of their current collection becoming even rarer.

It's the same effect as old collectible and antique furniture.  Any
refinishing work drops the value, often dramatically.

For Denton:  Thanks, I wondered why the "OM-4" on my OM-4 body was blacked
out and your story might explain it.  Someone did a fantastic job of
_removing_ the white ink.  Looks like it was never there; it wasn't
repainted either.  Amazingly, the "Olympus" is still white on the prism
housing.

-- John