Re: [OM] Black vs Chrome/Titanium WAS: OM-2S question

Subject: Re: [OM] Black vs Chrome/Titanium WAS: OM-2S question
From: Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:37:56 -0600
>>>As I recall, back in the "olden" days (i.e. the 70's), a black finished
camera was considered a "pro" rig while the chrome stuff was targeted at
consumers.  The same camera painted black could fetch an additional $20
over a chrome body.<<<

This was true. If you had a black camera, you were a 'PRO'. If you had any
other color you were an amateur/ student/
tourist.
Also in journalism circles, if you had a black camera -you were more "stealth"
than other photojournalists.
However, I notice that in my experience, if you walked in with a "black bodied
camera" - everyones eyes would turn and
they would say "hey,
here come so-in-so with his new black camera". So you got notice even more, not
less. Also it looks tacky too put
chrome lenses on a black body-
so you end up buying a whole new set of lenses.

Why black is popular must be aesthetic not practical. After all, black absorbs
heat very well. If you really want to
shoot comfortably and protect film for heat
you should be using a WHITE camera. But then, who wants to be know as that
virgin photographer.

There has been only two cameras I've coveted after for their color. An alpa 11s
with a gold body and red leather
covering and a Sanderson 2x3 tropical
view with black ebony wood , red bellows, ivory labels and brass trim/ controls.

    yours I wouldn't turn my nose up at
a black 4T,

Garry D. Lewis