RE: [OM] wide angles

Subject: RE: [OM] wide angles
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:00:30 -0800
Olaf writes:

<< Now, from previous discussion I seem to remember that the 21/3.5
performs
better than the 21/2. Here, Gary's tests slightly imply this to indeed
be
the case (it's a pity that these two lenses were testes with different
bodies - the 4T vs. the 1, so a 1-on-1 comparison is a bit difficult).

I'll plan on reshooting the 21mm f/3.5 with an OM-4T. My prediction is
that it will get better SQF grades wide open on the OM-4T.  From other
OM-1 vs. OM-4T/OM-2000 comparisons among wide angles and normals, I'm
hypothesizing that when the automatic diaphragm mechanism in an OM-1
hits the coupling on the lens and the diaphragm has no where to go
(because you are shooting wide open), there isn't the same dampening
effect that one would get if the diaphragm blades had been able to move
(shooting stopped down). In another words, you get a jarring effect that
creates a harmonic vibration which lingers into the time at which the
shutter is open.

Hope this doesn't send Joel back to the laser pointer  :-)

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV