Re: [OM] Which wide angle (Zuiko) to choose...?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which wide angle (Zuiko) to choose...?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:06:49 -0600
At 06:15 AM 1/26/2000 -0700, Thomas you wrote:
>Hello fellow Zuikoholics,
>
>I have in the past been concirned mostly with the longer lens-lengths, and my
>only venture into the wide-angles has been the Sigma 21-35 zoom which - I may
>add - has performed well and been a good companion on many a trip.
>
>However that lens is rather large, and thus makes for a good but clumsy
friend
>which I do not always want to bring.
>
>I have been considering investing in a wide-angle Zuiko for quite a while,
>however since no shops around my place happen to have one for me to see and
>try, I have been most reluctant to ordering one - after all, it is (can be)
>rather expensive.

Hi Thomas,

I also own a Sigma 21-35. It's quite a good lens, but I feel your pain
about its awkward size -- 77mm at the front end.  A camera bag
configuration-stumper.

With that lens I usually drift to the 21mm end, so that tends to be the
prime I most want.  I think the Sigma is actually superior to my 24/2.8;
there might be a bit more barrel distortion, but corner sharpness and
contrast are better.

The 28/2.8 is one of my favorite Zuikos, and I understand that the 28/2 is
even better.  The 28/2.8 is a constant companion.  If I had one of the 21's
I think that I would actually be -- gulp -- content.  I'm  pretty
comfortable with 21 and 28 and could skip 24 altogether.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA