Re: [OM] Questions for the group

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions for the group
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:08:51 -0800
Gary;

I share your pain about the job of finding everything and picking and
choosing for a shoot.  For me at least, I solved the problem , I hope I
hope.  I say that cause, while I have implemented the solution, I haven't
actually used it yet.  I was actually trying to solve an additional problem
as well: how to get my camera gear safely to and from my destination when
that requires a plane ride.  I've been lugging in in carry-on and it's just
too much, what with both the 4x5 and 35mm gear.

My solution to both problems costs about as much as a used 28/2 Zuiko.  I
bought a LARGE double-decker Pelican case with 2 levels of built-in
dividers, nocely padded.  It's the 1620 model on this page if interested:
http://www.pelican.com/lgcases.htm  I've got all the gear I ever use in the
thing: 4 bodies, too many lenses, filters, filter holders, flash, bounce
grip, film etc etc.  Just a few items withheld for the ubiquitous 'small
bag'.  So now I've got a convenient storage case where almost everything
will be kept.  Easy to pull out what I need for a particular shoot and put
that in my Tamrac bag.  Or if I want to do some portraits or macro work in
the 'studio', I know where everything is.

Another way I'll use it is when I go on a photo excursion of a couple days
to a couple weeks in the SUV, the whole case can just get thrown in the back
and everything's there. (The 4x5 gear comes in it's own Super-Trekker
backpack).

When it comes time for a plane trip, I'll carry-on the 4x5 backpack (it's
actually fairly light) and I'll check the Pelican case.  The case is built
like a tank, which brings to mind it's one downside - it's very HEAVY.  But,
it's got wheels and a pull handle similar to the overnights most
stewardesses have.  I'll put a coupole of locks on it, and I have the gear
insured, so I have little fear of the baggage handlers.

One last advantage: now I can take **everything** on a whitewater trip,
cause the Pelicans are watertight.

george