Re: [OM] Metering for fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering for fireworks
From: "Arnab Kumar Banerjee" <arnabkb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:54:11 PST
Dick Wright wrote ...

Hmmm, that's got me wondering now...I've never used *under* compensation. I
know that the meter is fooled towards under exposure when the background is
all white, like snow or at an ice rink, so + compensation is correct there,
but also using + comp. for fireworks against a black sky, and for the
national christmas tree at night, as got me confused. When would you use -
compensation? Black subject against a black background?

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright

This is what the text books say-
For white subjects with white backgrounds (e.g a polar bear in snow) overexpose by approx one stop from the meter reading. For black subjects with black backgrounds (e.g a sea lion against black waters) underexpose by approx 1 stop from the meter reading.

Don't know if this really works. (I always use print film, and with its high latitude can't see the difference)
Warm regards,
Arnab.