Re: [OM] Metering for fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering for fireworks
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:16:29 -0700
At 09:48 AM 1/23/00 +0000, Dirk Wright wrote:

[snip]

>Hmmm, that's got me wondering now...I've never used *under* compensation. I
>know that the meter is fooled towards under exposure when the background is
>all white, like snow or at an ice rink, so + compensation is correct there,
>but also using + comp. for fireworks against a black sky, and for the
>national christmas tree at night, as got me confused. When would you use -
>compensation? Black subject against a black background?

Dirk:

I use under-compensation when shooting things such as a shady, tree-lined
street with slide film.  If you just let the auto-exposure do its thing, it
makes the cool, dark green cavern look like high noon in Saskatchewan in July.
One or two stops under-exposure are necessary to re-create the "feel" of the
scene for others viewing your efforts.

Slight under-compensation can sometimes help with saturation, although modern
slide films seem to have less of a problem here.  I always used to under-expose
Kodachrome by about 1/3 stop to increase the saturation.  'Course, I don't use
Kodachrome at all anymore, with the new E-6 films being so good.  (Not to
mention the fact that hardly anyone processes Kodachrome anymore, at least in
Western Canada, so you have to send it off to get processed and it can take as
long as two weeks to get results back...).

Garth