[OM] Metering for fireworks

Subject: [OM] Metering for fireworks
From: Paul Tierney <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:18:22 -0800
I take photos of fireworks, i.e. large scale display fireworks.

Exposure time is the difficulty. I get good results from an OM2. The rule
of thumb is to use the aperture which is the nearest reciprocal to the film
speed, e.g. if the film speed is 100, the reciprocal is 1 / 100 which
equals 10, so the aperture used is the nearest:  f11.

The OM2's automatic exposure does the rest, exposing at anywhere between 8
and 20 seconds, cutting off when enough light has reached the film. In this
time the photo will consist of any number of shell bursts, stars,
bombettes, etc.

I've previously used a Minox 35 to similarly good effect.

The problem is that both of these are 35mm and will only stand a certain
amount of enlargement.

I also use my Hassie 500cm but the exposure time has to be estimated
entirely by subjective judgement. I've had good results but also a high
failure rate.

The question is - does anyone know of an exposure meter which would do for
the Hassie what the built-in meter does for the OM2?

- www.modus.co.uk - web design and publishing, domain names & mailing services.