EBAY anti-fraud actions (was [OM] ebay loser)

Subject: EBAY anti-fraud actions (was [OM] ebay loser)
From: Barks <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 07:54:17 +0000
In the case of one apparent ebay dead-beat--I say 'apparent' because the
lens eventually showed up on my door step after many unanswered email
messages and weeks of waiting--I was contacted by the New York (if memory
serves) police, by a member of their fraud squad asking about my experience
w/ the seller.  Because I did get the item nothing came of it, not that I
expect that the NY police would have been able to do much of anything to
help a poor little left coast Canadian comme je suis.

My point is that ebay and the authorities do seem to be in touch.  How much
enforcement power either have is I expect neglible.

Glen

A splokesman for EBay talked on BBC Radio 4 (the best talk radio station in the world BTW) 2 days ago on the subject of the sale of Nazi and Concentration Camp "memorabilia". He was asked why EBay was associated with such a despicable trade; the answer was "..EBay is only a listing service, we cannot control what is sold through this service ...". This is a paraphrase BTW.

I'm not sure therefore that EBay has the inclination to police its operation. It would certainly add to its costs and reduce its profitability.

Chris

~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker
mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx