Re: [OM] OT: Exploding rechargeable batteries?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Exploding rechargeable batteries?
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:22:27 -0600
Per Nordenberg wrote:
> He removed the battery chamber to check the batteries, and suddenly there
> was a small cracking noise which quickly made him put the battery chamber on
> the
> ground. When I asked what happended he said that the batteries had exploded!
> Obviously at least some of the batteries had cracked.

A shorted NiCd battery will discharge at an extremly rapid rate, fast
enough to overheat the battery and cause it to explode.  From the
description it sounds like this is what happened.

I was a Zookeeper for a while after I got out of the Army in 67.  I know
you must love it as much as I did.

Jerry Liles