Re: [OM] linear polarizers?

Subject: Re: [OM] linear polarizers?
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:53:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Joseph wrote:

> I have not observed any evidence that I need to use a circular polarizer with
> an OM-4T.  If I use the camera to spotmeter an area of a scene without the
> filter on, and then attach the filter and re-meter the same area, I get
> a difference in meter readings corresponding to the loss of light
> due to the filter factor.  Thus, I have not been able to observe an
> effect on the accuracy of taking a meter reading, hence I don't know
> what is meant by the circular polarizer affecting manual exposure.

I think you meant "linear polarizer affecting manual exposure" in that
last sentence - circular polarizers should have not affect manual
metering.

However, assuming you tried the experiment with a linear polarizer, I'd
be interested in the results of repeating the experiment with the filter
at different rotations.  The half-silvered part of the mirror is
effected by having alternate silvered/unsilvered strips, much too small
to see, which makes it act like another linear polarising filter.  Hence
you should see a change in meter reading as the filter is rotated, even
when the light from the subject is randomly polarised.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |