[OM] Seeking first camera for child advice...

Subject: [OM] Seeking first camera for child advice...
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 09:02:20 -0800
My daughter turns 7 next Tuesday. She expressed a desire for a camera
for Christmas and didn't get one. I'm thinking she should get something
to play with and learn with for her birthday. She is too young for much,
obviously... What got me to thinking more on this is that I recall my
first camera being an Argus C3 some relative had kicking around. I got
that when I was about 10 or so. That manual camera forced me to learn
about using a light meter, setting exposures, etc. My question is since
Nicola is too young to grasp all that I am thinking about a cheap point
and shoot. I would even go for something like a Stylus Epic (they are
only 89 bux now) if I thought it would be durable enough.

On the same subject, my only "point and shoot" is an IS-10. The Stylus
Epic has caught my eye as well as something to have all the time for
those grab shots and for family snapshots. I have a broken XA2 that was
my grandfather's that I hope to repair. So my questions are, is a Stylus
Epic durable enough for a 7 year old girl? How do Stylus Epic owners
like it and how does it comepare with the Yachica T4 (and the old XA
cameras)?

I once had the orginal Stylus and thought it was splendid. I lost it to
my ex-wife and I replaced it with the first version Stylus Zoom...which
was a disapointment (and mercifully stolen from me and replaced with the
IS-10). Is the Epic (non-zoom) comparable to (or better than) the
original Stylus?

TIA for your non-OM (but Olympus related) thoughts...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com