[OM] RE: [OM] OT: Operating Systems (was: Future ES-10 support (WAS Rand

Subject: [OM] RE: [OM] OT: Operating Systems (was: Future ES-10 support (WAS Randomness prevails))
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:56:14 -0600
Olafo,

I wonder why I have all of these OSs on my system each and every time I
boot up!  <g>

One of the aspects of my job is software design.  Essentially, I go to a
company such as Dell and move from department to department, designing
software to meet the requirements of the entire department, then staff the
project, beat on the programmers, and take the blame when something goes
wrong.

As the Windows architecture is based upon a "shell" program loading
specific sub-programs (DLLs) to actually do anything, any software written
needs to take the DLLs into account -- and many of them are different
between both different OSs (i.e. W98 and NT), but sometimes within a
specific OS (i.e. different service releases or service packs - Win95 SR-1
and Win95 SR-2).  While a program may run correctly under '95 or '98, it
may not run under NT.  Therefore I have to maintain all of the target OSs
on every system I work on.  As I do much of my work from home (boxer
shorts, iced tea & Bill Ackerman on the stereo are preferable to the
cubicle-land that is Dell), I've got to keep the same OSs on my home system
as well.

Hell, I just got rid of Win3.1 and '95!

Regarding collecting, I still have the CPM86 package from 1981... now only
if they'd make it in a titanium slipcase... <g>

Regarding MS vs Linux, I addressed that issue in another post earlier
today.  The companies paying my outrageous rates haven't embraced Linux
yet, therefore me neither too.  <g>

Thanks,

Dave

On Thursday, January 06, 2000 9:02 AM, Olaf Greve [SMTP:Ogreve@xxxxxxx]
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > My main system at home is already booting 98/NT/Win2K,
>
> Uhhhh, maybe a stupid question (and I haven't really been following this
> thread anyway), but why would you want to undergo the torture of having
_3_
> versions of Windows running on your machine?!? Especially since you have
NT