Re: [OM] Seeking first camera for child advice...

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking first camera for child advice...
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 12:16:35 -0800
At 09:02 AM 1/6/00 -0800, you wrote:
>My daughter turns 7 next Tuesday. She expressed a desire for a camera
>for Christmas and didn't get one. I'm thinking she should get something
>to play with and learn with for her birthday. She is too young for much,
>obviously...

Mike,

My grandson was 5 this summer and wanted to take pictures with Grandpa.
Gave him an old plastic fixed focus point and shoot  and told him if he
took some good pictures he could have an autofocus, autoexposure Fuji DL-90
I had won in a photo contest a while ago. He and I went out on several
outings, he paid attention when shooting and got some great shots and,
"earned" the fuji. He went home to his parents (they live in another
Province) after his visit. In October I was in Edmonton to do a shoot at a
flying school and he came along with me (he loves airplanes too). He shot
on his own and later after the film was processed my brother dropped by. He
picked up one batch of shots and was commenting on how great they were. I
looked over and they were my grandson's. Mind blower.

I could just as easily given him the Fuji from the start but turned it into
something he could "earn" and that cranked him right up. Unfortuantely the
only Oly I could have used was a 35SP (but grandpa didn't want to give that
one up). He is coming to spend the summer with us and is already talking
about "earning" an Olympus just like Grandpa's.He may just end up with an
OM-10 by the end of the summer.

The Fuji was about the right size ( a little larger than an XA) for his
hands. Anything in that range should work.

Have fun
Barry H