Re: [OM] 135/4.5 macro Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] 135/4.5 macro Zuiko
From: george <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 09:59:58 -0800

Joseph wrote:

> ========
> Subject: [OM] WTB/WTT I am looking obtain a Macro Zuiko 135mm f4 lens
> ========
>
> it's a 135/4.5 lens.

You are correct. Minimum shooting aper is 4.5  But focussing aper is
actually F/4.

  You also should know that this is not a conventional
> helicoid focusing lens, but a lens made to use with the 65-116mm variable
> auto extension tube,

Or with the bellows.

 and the lens gives a focusing range of infinity to 1:2
> with this tube.

You can get to 1:1 with the bellows, altho optimum for this lens is 1:5.

  Given that you have to focus by telescoping the auto tube
> in and out,

It does have a helicoil for fine focussing.

 this is not a very convenient lens to use for non-macro work,

True.

> and it is not recommended by olympus for work beyond 1:2.  It will work,
> but you'll have to stack additional tubes on the variable tube, and it
> will get a bit unwieldy.

It is a beautiful lens and results are superb.  It goes to infinity with
the tube so it could substitute as a regular 135, but as Joseph says, it
won't be as convenient.  But it'll be far more versatile.

George