RE: [OM] new years eve photos/ADITL3

Subject: RE: [OM] new years eve photos/ADITL3
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:56:30 +0100
Cc: "'george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'gma@xxxxxxxxx'" <gma@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi all,

This message contains an important description for the lay-out of the
descriptions of the ADITL3 entries, so please read it in its entirety. :)

> Send the file attached to an e-Mail which has all the information about
> the photo. Ie: camera, lens, film, etc (aper,SS too if you got it) and a
> little description or story about the image.

In order to take a lot of workload off of George and myself, I spent
yesterday evening writing a CGI script which automatically picks up the
ADITL pictures, as well as their descriptions for the ADITL3 fest. An
additional advantage of this script is that we only have to edit one file in
case we want to change the layout of each and every entry.

Now, to make this script pick up the descriptions correctly, the (eventual)
data must comply to a simple format. An example can be found down below,
which I'll explain briefly below the example:

----begin of example (do not include this line in the file)----
Title:
ADITL3 test.

Gear used:
OM-4Ti + 24/2.8 + F280 flash + tripod + cable release.

Diafragm:
F16

Shutter speed:
2 min.

Film used:
Kodakcolor Gold 200 ASA.

Technical information:
This is a night-time exposure, I had to expose for more or less two minutes
to get all the effects to show up.

Subject information:
The building in this picture is the famous Amsterdam wind mill, which is
built on top of one of our highest
mountains. If you're not wearing wooden shoes, you'll be denied access. The
moving parts you see are the red
tulips which have been tied to the blades of the wind mill. A typical Dutch
sight.
----end of example (do not include this line in the file)----

So, the format is:
Header title (1 line, no more, no less)
Actual data for the item (this can span multiple lines)
<1 blank line before you type the next header title, this is a separator>

Now, for the fun part: the way I wrote the script, you can type whatever
header names and descriptions you like (and add a few or leave a few out),
and the script will pick them up. However, for "uniformness sake" I
recommend to use the above example as a template and fill that out as
desired.

To capitalise on the layout: the first line of each entry (i.e. the header
title) is the actual text that will be printed in the left column of a
table, and the second entry (i.e. the actual text matching the header) is
what will be printed in the right column of the table. The blank line is
used as a separator, and should appeaar between each entry. The colons and
punctuation marks are not used as separators, therefore they are not
required and can be used as desired.

George and/or I will of course check each submitted entry to make sure the
eventual format is correct for the script, but it would be of great help to
us if we don't have to do too much editing :)

Have fun, and hopefully this script will speed up the process a bunch! :)

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: If anything is unclear, please send me a message off-list.