[OM] Crappy negs

Subject: [OM] Crappy negs
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 06:29:30 +0000
Garry L.:
>>>but if you want to learn to be a great 'printer', then have your boss

bring you a "crappy" negative and spent a couple of hours turning out a
print that "wow's" then in the head office<<<

Garry,
I worked as a custom b&w exhibition printer for 7 years. I printed
negatives from all sorts of sources, including the Air Force archives,
for anything from annual reports to the Monterey Jazz Festival. I had my
share of coping with bad negatives, believe me.

I was talking about an individual learning how to make good prints from
his or her own negatives.

Most custom printers are very skilled, but their chief skill is in
getting to a decent print quickly and without using much paper.
Fortunately, I was able to charge enough that, for the most part, I
could take all the time and paper I needed...that's unusual in the
commercial world, though.

--Mike J. / _PHOTO Techniques_ magazine

P.S. I still tend to print too quickly and without using very much
paper, though. <s>