[OM] [OT] Archival capability of CD-R

Subject: [OM] [OT] Archival capability of CD-R
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 07:36:09 -0500
We recently had some discussion of the archival capabilities of the
various CD types.  I stated that I thought CD-R (since it's not
rewritable) would be stable. However, in the January 18, 2000 issue of
PC Magazine (page 124) there is an article titled "Optical Drive
Compatibility".  In the discussion of CD-R the author notes that CD-R is
subject to possible data loss if exposed to direct sunlight.

I assume that the exposure would have to be to strong light and for some
period of time other than momentary but no other information is given.
No such statments were made about CD-RW but I would not consider that as
implying that they are safe from sunlight.

I assume that Photo-CD is CD-R technology.  It's supposed to be good for
100 years (assuming you keep it out of the direct sun I guess).

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA