Re: [OM] Notes on the road

Subject: Re: [OM] Notes on the road
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:10:40 +0100
Hi Ken,
You wrote :
> Monday 1:30 p.m., somewhere at 35,000 feet...
I'm looking out the window of the Boeing 757 at a "wrinkle" in the air. Over
the years I've seen it maybe a couple dozen times, but I finally grab the
OM-2S and snap a picture. Sitting in my preferred window exit seat
<snip>
I enjoy the challenge of identifying where I am at when flying. Iowa is easy
to identify from the air with its contoured farmland and near-perfect 1-mile
grid system of roads. Michigan is so unique in shape that you must marvel at
the apparent humor of the creator in designing a mitten shaped landscape
surrounded by water. New York, with the fingered-lakes region is cute from
cruising altitude whereas Pennsylvania's repeating patterns of mountainous
wrinkles leave little to identify just where you are at... <

You've done it again...you tell us a nice "poetic" story about the pleasure
of "seeing"...Like you, it's a pleasure for me to contemplate the world
through the window of an airplane. When the sky is clear "reading a
landscape from above" is as (more ?) fascinating than the best book. Some
times ago Chris Barker gives us another nice "aerial picture" from a nice
valley of the England countryside. Reading your post a music from "Blade
Runner": "Memories of green" came to my mind, the music on an aerial
travelling over some forest landscape at the end of the movie...
Your message has a nice "bokeh": the fuzziness of the "far viewing" when the
picture is not too definite, when every parcels of the landscape cease to be
only a precise thing but an element of a large image. Like our list made of
a lot of individuals, like a melting of flowers into a "bouquet". All
unique, from Doris on her bike to Tomoko lurking somewhere in the corner of
the Web...from Garth in the north to Chris Biggs in the south...
By the way Chris, how is you leg ? better I hope ? From all the corners of
the World, with different languages, different culture (except of course our
OM cult !) Some I've "met" like  Denton, Frank, Gary R, Gary S., Tom Curlee,
other ones I know only through their mails... All that compose a nice
ensemble rich of the combination of everyone's experience. I've learned a
lot from these and not only of a photographic point of view (obligatory SUV
content...) and I hope to do so next year, beginning with  our George & C°
ADITL...
Best wishes to all of you and your families for 2000 and for the future

regards
marc
Namur (Belgium)