RE: [OM] Notes on the road

Subject: RE: [OM] Notes on the road
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:36:26 -0600
> The wrinkle is water vapor that's in the air, and it's compressed by the
> plane's wing. That's why it's seen more often in the denser air near the
> ground than in upper altitudes. Reminds me of a blanket of fog that's
> fast-moving and compressed.

Actually it is a LOW pressure area over the wing (which give the wing it's
lift). As moisture laden air enters this low pressure area, the air expands
and cools - in this instance below the dewpoint temperature so some of the
water condenses into a visible vapor. As the air leaves the low pressure
area it warms up again and the vapor disappears.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx