Re: [OM] Kodak E100VS & scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak E100VS & scanning
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 07:58:07 -0600
At 03:26 AM 12/18/1999 -0800, Phillip Franklin you wrote:
>Well I  finally shot the two sample rolls of E100VS that Kodak sent out
>a couple of months ago. What I liked about this film is that this is the
>best Ektachrome I've ever scanned on a desktop scanner. Hats off to Kodak
on this one.
snip
>Has
>anybody else had the same result?

Well, yes, sort of.  From camera to scanner I found that there was so
little to choose from between Provia (RDP2) and E100VS that I decided that
it wasn't worth the difference to buy E100VS. I use a Nikon scanner and
Provia, both of which you have said in different posts that you don't like
for scanning. So I doubt that my opinion will be of any use to you.

But what the heck.

In absolute terms I think the E100VS is a very good film. Very clean
highlights, good color, and excellent grain. In the latter it is probably
better than RDP2 a little bit.  I have also shot a bit of the consumer
version of this film, Elite EBX.  I was a little disappointed that the EBX
was not a closer match to the E100VS because the price is closer to Provia.
 Probably needed to ripen a bit, which is why we want pro films I guess.
E100VS is a good reason to come home to Kodak, but it's too expensive IMO.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA