[OM] Kodak E100VS & scanning

Subject: [OM] Kodak E100VS & scanning
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:26:09 -0800
Well I  finally shot the two sample rolls of E100VS that Kodak sent out
a couple of months ago. What I liked about this film is that this is the
best Ektachrome I've ever scanned on a desktop scanner.  For the first
time  I did not have to correct for the normal cool tones that I
normally get from E100S.  So good-bye Agfa RSX100.  This will be my
chrome of choice when I have to scan it myself (my own personal stuff).
I've always liked the way E100S looks on the 5500 degree light table but
I just had a tough time getting my own scans to match the this.  So I
usually had to have the scans done on the drum for paying clients. (I
can't afford a $35.00 scan for my own stuff).  Even though this E100VS
looks a bit warmer on the table it scans on both my Minolta and the
studio's Polaroids the way E100S would normally look on the light table.
There's over 500 degrees of warmth  plus just intense color here.  I
never was able to warm up any Ekatachrome on the scan. I always had to
mess with color in PS.  E100VS is really a winner for me.  The normally
warmer E100SW just was too warm for studio shooting.  Although it did
scan better than E100S on my scanner. Hats off to Kodak on this one. Has
anybody else had the same result?  Of course almost all of my shooting
is in the studio or VR panoramas. I did shoot a few frames of the sky
and ocean which always tends to go cool but this VS just looks great.

Ok, when I can get an affordable digital camera that can match this VS
color the world of photography will change forever.  I don't see it
happening anytime soon.  Most of the prosumer digital cameras just can't
produce the gamut or intensity of a great chrome film like this.  Up
until I put this film into my scanner I was satisfied just shooting Gold
100 (even though I get a little more grain than I normally like)for my
own stuff.  So at $7.00+ per roll plus $7.00 for processing I going to
have to save it for the more serious personal shots.  This $14.00 plus
waiting 2 days (for Kodak's lab in LA) gets a little inconvient and
reminds me of why I quit shooting Kodachrome. Normally I can get my Gold
film for about $3.00 and $1.99 process in 10 minutes.  I can only shoot
one roll of chrome compared to over 100 frames of Gold. Those VR
panoramas can really eat film.  But for special shots I going to keep
some of this VS around.

Phillip Franklin