RE: [OM] Re: 50/3.5 for portraits

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: 50/3.5 for portraits
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:11:33 +0100
Hi,

> You did, for your own idiosyncratic reasons.

Yep, we all choose the tools we feel most comfortable with :)

> I chose to own a 3.5 instead of the usual 1.8 and that was my 50mm lens
> and standard for many years.

I see. I kinda presumed that you would also own the 50/1.8. Well, given this
additional factor it certainly makes sense to pick the macro for general
purpose 50mm shots too :)

> It is still the 50mm of choice when I travel.

The good thing about doing that is that you don't have to bring two 50mm
lenses. At times I do the same.

> I don't find the normal a hindrance for portraits, although it may not be
> the best choice, I have not particularly been hampered by it's speed.

At times I am, at times I'm not. In indoor situations the 50/1.8 is much
nicer to use than the 50/3.5, but hey, add a flash to your camera and the
majority of the problems (save from the tougher focusing) are solved.

> it is great...for my wife. I still like the 3.5. That's life.

Yes, we all develop a certain preference for lenses, I do the same.

> My other favorite is the 40 f2

Nowadays mine is the 100/2; a truly marvel. Soon it will probably be that
35-80/2.8.

> BTW, I enjoy your posts. Happy holidays.

Cheers for that, and the same to you!
Alright, I'm off to enjoy the weekend, see yo guys on Monday.

Cheers!
Olafo